Sunday, August 14, 2011

Jellyfish and Sun-in


 The hubs and I decided to take another trip to Saint George Island this past weekend. Just to give you some background info, Saint George Island is a small island off the forgotten coast of Florida (next to the Emerald Coast of FL a.k.a Panama City Beach). It's about a 1.5 hour drive from Tallahassee through the woods and small towns of northern Florida. The drive overall is quaint and scenic, as one road extends along the bay coastline.

Once we arrived into the small beach area there were a few interesting characters that enlightened my day. Namely, the group from Carabelle, FL that set up camp in front of our towels. They seemed like a fun-loving group, which I can appreciate, until one of the men in the group came out of the water while the remaining members of the group chanted "Pee on it!" As a former lifeguard, I was slightly concerned for the poor guy. That was for the first five minutes of the "Pee on it" chant, jeers, and drunken laughs. After about seven minutes, then my concern slowly morphed into disdain. I was ecstatic when they finally left the poor guy alone (to sulk on the beach blanket) while they all ran back into the water, beers in hands. The average age appeared to be late 20s to early 30s. I bet you were guessing teenagers, huh. Did I mention that there were rafts and small children on rafts in this group...

For the next hour or so, the hubs and I enjoyed peace and quiet. It was wonderful to hear the sounds of the ocean breeze, feel the warm sun on my face, and sand beneath my feet. I was ten minutes into a glorious nap...then the cackling started. I looked east, west, north and even south (into the gulf) for the woman (or witch) that let out this horrendous sound. Nothing...and it stopped. Another minute passed and the cackle got even louder. I opened my eyes and a man walking a dog ran by my feet. The wicked witch of the west had nothing on this dude's laugh! It was a mixture of squeals and trills similar to that of an evil witch or gremlin. Wow! I was glad to see he was having a good time squealing at the German Sheppard on the leash in front of him, jumping in and out of the water while chasing a small bird. But that laugh!! Turtle from SATC could not compare!

Blue Parrot Tiki Bar
To end our adventurous trip, we took a drive to the local surf shop to replace my old faithful beach shorts. Sometimes I forget about my super human strength, today was such a day. I ripped the zipper off of my own shorts. Yup, admittedly it's not my finest moment. The shorts were about ten years old and had it coming. After that we headed to the Tiki bar at the Blue Parrot to enjoy a pina colada.





No comments:

Post a Comment